Mis à jour le 08/07/22
The host partners of the International Joint Laboratory ‘Tropical Atlantic Interdisciplinary laboratory on physical, biogeochemical, ecological and human dynamics’ (IJL TAPIOCA), the Universidade Federal de Pernambuco (UFPE) and the Universidade Federal Rural de Pernambuco (UFRPE) have a long history of interaction with IRD in marine science. Brazil recently recognized the major importance of the natural resources and mineral stocks along its 7,500 km of coastline (called "Blue Amazon" by the Brazil’s authorities) and TAPIOCA team members are involved in a variety of scientific and academic projects aiming at resolving key question on climate variability, biogeochemical, physical, biological and human interactions in the tropical Atlantic Ocean. Still, the federal agency responsible for the evaluation of Brazilian research and graduate programs (CAPES), recently pointed out two main aspects hampering the establishment of a centre of excellence in Recife. The first one is the still unsatisfactory level of internationalisation of local centres, despite their long histories of cooperation with several countries. The second obstacle is associated with the need for further developments in specific areas of Oceanography, which have not yet been explored (or even inexistent) either at UFPE and/or UFRPE.
Objectifs scientifiques et projet de recherche
In this context, the IJL-TAPIOCA ambitions a structuring role for the establishment of a Regional Centre of Excellence in Marine Sciences for the tropical Atlantic at Recife, fulfilling at the same time both gaps pointed out in the last CAPES evaluation by (i) improving internationalisation; and (ii) filling the scientific, technological and methodological gaps and supporting the development of innovative research in areas not yet explored in Brazil. The TAPIOCA Interuniversity (UFPE-UFRPE) Platform is organised along two Axes hosted in the existing facilities in Recife. The first Axis ‘Observing ocean structure and dynamics alongscale’ will provide knowledge about the ocean structure. The second Axis ‘Occupation of space by marine organisms and fishers using natural and artificial tags’ will document how organisms and fishers move within this ocean space. TAPIOCA scientific advances should feed related projects and provide elements to respond key climatic, environmental and societal questions.
- In Axis 1 TAPIOCA proposes developing specific capacity on ecosystem acoustics (Axe 1.1) and turbulent microstructure measurements (Axe 1.2). A third mid-term objective (Axe 1.3.) is to build in Recife the group of reference in the western tropical Atlantic for the French-US Surface Water & Ocean Topography (SWOT) satellite to be launched in 2021.
- In Axis 2, TAPIOCA proposes developing capacity on the use of natural tags, in particular otolith microchemistry and stable isotope analysis that provide great advances in the comprehension of the ecosystem functioning (Axis 2.1.). The second specific objective (Axis 2.2.) is to foster expertise and exchanges on biologger’s use/development and data handling using advanced statistical modelling.
In addition, student training is a mainstay of the IJL TAPIOCA and in phase with a clear political will to stimulate research education in marine sciences in Brazil in interaction with other countries. For that purpose, TAPIOCA will focus on four transversal aspects:
- encourage student co-advising and co-badging;
- provide capacity building on the disciplines to be developed in Axes 1 and 2;
- organize international multidisciplinary summer schools on Tropical Marine Science and
- disseminate the expertise through new educational tools (e.g. MOOC) supported by the Brazilian Universities.
The mid-long-term target of TAPIOCA is the construction of a facility hosting the Interuniversity Centre of excellence in Tropical Marine science with all involved scientists.
- Porteurs du LMI
- Principaux partenaires
- Universidade Federal de Rio Grande do Norte (UFRN),
- Universidade Federal do Pará (UFPA),
- Universidade Federal da Bahia (UFBA),
- Universidade Federal do Maranhão (UFMA),
- Centro de Previsão de Tempo e Estudos Climáticos/Instituto Nacional de Pesquisa Espacial (CPTEC/INPE).
- UMRs MIO, GET, LOPS, IMAGO and ESPACE-DEV. Support of Mercator Ocean
Construction des savoirs, perceptions, représentations et adaptation au changement climatique; Accès aux ressources; Dynamiques Sud/Sud; Indicateurs des changements climatiques et environnementaux en zone méditerranéenne ou tropicale; Ecosystèmes d’interface continentocéan en zone méditerranéenne ou tropicale, évènements extrêmes
Année de création : 2018